Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Blessed by Blunders

Ever feel like you are getting ahead on something? Ever feel like you are getting one up on the world- only to figure out that you are actually further behind?
I just did that. I came home after Youth Group and Coffee afterwards. I then decided to get a jump on writing the Sermon for Sunday morning. I went through the passage- actually the whole chapter of 1st Thessalonians. I prayed beforehand and started writing. It felt like a really productive time. This would mean that a bit of the pressure I feel about getting it mapped out before Saturday (when I often do most of my work on writing) would be out of the way.

It did seem to me- not entirely familiar- (as I just read the passage I was preaching on the other day.) I just dismissed those thoughts of unfamiliarity as late night-itus or something. Afterall I was using a different translation than what I read it in last week. After spending about an hour on this- and finishing the mapping out part- (and feeling great) I decided to look up the 1st Chapter of 2nd Thessalonanians. By now you are guessing what is coming next! Uhm... it is 2nd Thessalonains that I am preaching from. LOL or Cry Out loud?! I ought to doubt any thoughts that are in my mind that claim to be getting ahead as almost invariably they are wrong.

Well, in any case- should the occaision arise - I am ready to preach from 1st Thessalonians now- and I was really blessed by God's Word in the process.
I did this once before at Taylor College. I prepared the Sermon on an entirely different text than I was supposed to. I guess the silver lining is that I figured it out now and not Sunday Morning at about 10:55. Anyone in need of a sermon on 1st Thessalonians Chapter 1?

4 comments:

Jen said...

That has happened to me before too...glad to know I am not the only one..

Anonymous said...

You can come preach on 1st Thes ANY time Jon. You're definately welcome too. Hey, why not, come preach on 2nd Thes too!

Adam O said...

I had no idea that you had a blogger blog... I am so uninformed.
Sounds like you guys had a blast at the 80's party! I wish I could have come, but I had been back and forth from SJ so much over the previous couple of weeks. My sis was pretty sick, but she is doing much better these days. Thank be to God!
Anyway, I am not sure when I will be in SJ anytime soon. Perhaps not until Christmas....
However, I hope that you, Kristen, and Elijah are all well. I miss you guys a lot!
Blessings,
Adam O

Adam O said...

P.S. - You should e-mail me your "mistaken" sermon. I am always up for a good read and a good lesson.