Sunday, October 15, 2006

Coca-Cola Blak




For those who don't know, I have been a Coca-Cola fan since the mid 1980's. My best friend back then was a guy named Brad Madu. Coke was one of the planks in the patio of our friendship. His Grandpa used to work for Coke and would drop off free Canada Dry at his place like once a month. (Canada Dry was bottled by Coca-Cola- I am not sure if it is anymore.) His Grandpa got to drink as much of the stuff as he liked! My 13 year old brain could not wrap itself around this idea! Wow! All the Coke he could drink?

Anyways, Brad and I were nuts about Coke. We knew which products were bottled by Coca-Cola and which were not. It was entirely acceptable and only acceptable to drink products that were bottled by Coca-Cola and absolutely not acceptable to buy a Pepsi Product- even if Pepsi only bottled it. I remember if we wanted anything like a Dr. Pepper we would have to go to the States (Abbotsford is right on the Border) and buy Mr. Pibb (Which is the Coke Product equivalent of Dr. Pepper.)

We used to cut out the Coke Product logo's of the aluminum cans and stick them on our wall. We collected everything that had Coca-Cola on it. The coolest was having Coke Cans from other countries, like England, Holland, or Japan etc.

Now, I have since given away or gotten rid of all of my Coke paraphinalia ..

I still felt it my obligation to try the new Coca-Cola Blak product...

here's what happened:

When I first saw them at the Superstore I tried to play it cool and thought, I will buy that later, when it is not almost $2 a bottle. K and I went to the Superstore on Friday night last week. Then when we went to pick up a few things on Saturday- my heart went into a minor palpatations.... the Coca-Cola Blak display was gone. I had heard about Coke Blak for months since we went to NY. Now my chance had come and gone and I had missed it. Could this really be happening?

That is when I noticed the display for Coke Blak had simply been moved to the other end of the isle that it was the day before. Instantly I bought a 4 pack and brought it to the counter.

How is it you ask?

Interesting. It has an initial coke flavor- almost Vanilla Coke flavor when it first hits your taste buds. Then the coffee taste appears like out of nowhere. It is an interesting flavor experience if you like both Cola and Coffee- and you are willing to drink them both at once...well I think that you might like it- otherwise probably not. (I don't think that I will be buying it often at all considering the price.)

After this or somewhere in the middle of this, I was reminded by the Scripture... "don't worry about what you shall eat or drink...for life is more than food" -Matthew Ch. 6. The Greek word for anxious in the Bible also translates to "excited". I know that this is something our culture in North America, is very preoccupied with.. we become "anxious, worried, excited" about every new product of food and drink... "hey did you go to such and such yet and try the new ____" Or Did you see the new _____ at ____".

It is easy in a culture which is bombarding us with advertisements to get sucked into thinking that life is about trying the latest new product that a company brings out - as if these products are really going to fulfil our deepest needs as humans. I mean we all know that the commercial for a Toyota on T.V. which says, "Life is Simple- Eat, Sleep, Drive a Toyota." As if life is really that simple. As if eating, sleeping and driving a Toyota is the total picture of what life it. Nevermind family, friends, marriage, personal character- just eat- sleep and drive a Toyota!

My life is definitely no more fulfilled because I had a Coke Blak than before I had one. Yet- and I don't mean to sound preachy- but- one thing that I have found that I would recommend to you as the most deeply satisfying thing I have in this world is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. He alone fills that God shaped void that I had in my life till meeting Him.

Jesus points us to the fact that food, drink, and new styles of clothes, and products is not what real life- real day to day life is about- designer jeans, gourmet food, and marvelous possessions do not spell a satisfied soul- don't believe me? Look around! Some of the saddest people in this world are wealthy. Some of the most fulfilled people in this world have next to nothing. Life is more than food, clothes, and money.

Here's my new add I want to put on T.V. -

Jesus says that, HE is the Bread of Life... Are you satisfied? Really, deeply, at the core of your being satisfied? Drink Jesus! He does a body, soul, and spirit GOOD!

8 comments:

Shawn Branch said...

PEPSI ROCKS!!!!!!!!

alyson.lw said...

I'd have to say, im more of a pepsi fan myself lol.

gray said...

Nice Jonathan. Well said. Only Jesus satisfies!

My Family was so pro-Coke/ anti-Pepsi that if Pepsi came free with something we'd say no thanks, or take it home put it in the fridge and then a couple months down the road some one would ask, "hey, can I just throw this out now?".

I'm not that loyal now. But I still think Pepsi tastes like watered down Coke.

Chris Burke said...

I to am a coke man myself, if its not coke, its useless.. however funny thing, when i was in the states, all the resturants sold coke, but they ALWAYS had Dr. Pepper... odd but whatever.

I to have been wanting to try coke blak since its first announcement a few months back, but have yet to see it in ANY of the stores around here, I even looked for it when we were in toronto, and had no luck.

Some day I will get to taste its goodness.

Katie said...

haha. I am also a Coke fan but clearly not as hardcore as yourself.

EfforVestri said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Unknown said...

I don't usually act all litigious and stuff; but I'm really wondering how they can be so careless as to not have check with me first -- you know, they didn't even offer me a free case of the stuff. -Dan Oblak

Without even asking permission, Coke tries to capitalize on my good name...

Ryan Ferneau said...

Awww, I hate when an interesting story turns into just another Jesus pitch.